Three Years Too Early...: Admit

Following the bizarre discovery of his mother dead in the Reception classroom with the potential murderer being completely unknown to anything Tom could identify. This unnerved him greatly as he had no idea if the killer was on his side or just saw an opportunity to strike.


Naomi, Tom and Emma retreated from the school to Tom’s underground base.
            “What do you mean you gave up!” Naomi yelled. “We all took an oath to protect humanity from the aliens that threatened it.”
            “I came back in time to protect them. And then I learnt quite how dangerous and manipulative they were,” Tom explained.
            “We knew that anyway. They were manipulative in the way they used us, we knew that. We just put up with them, and then we made them scared of us and took control of our own destiny in order to protect them the way we wanted them to,” Naomi elaborated.
            “I couldn’t do that here, and it is hard to protect people who are in the process of killing each other,” Tom complained. “I was pretty sure you were dead, and I was following Maddi and Emma to the point that I could’ve been with them if something bad happened. The only one I couldn’t track was Connie, and that was because she had nothing I could track about her.”
            “So are we just going to argue about people giving up, or are we going to just actually plan for when the Vintos get here,” Emma snapped. “I mean unless you are going to go back into your depressed state?”
            “Oh. So I loose my faith in humanity once and suddenly I’m going to lose it every time? What about you? You’ve jumped from family to family, each time leaving them in complete disarray,” Tom retorted. “What were you trying to do?”
            “I was trying to find something like we had. A family I could fit with. I’m still looking for something like that. A family who I can fit in with. A family that gets me,” Emma cried. “I never wanted to hurt any of those families. I just wanted to be safe, with people who understood me.”
            “I understand what you were looking for. Obviously my expectations were far lower. See my parents for why. But I also realised that finding a family was not possible. Families understand each other. We were protectors who risked our lives on a daily basis, we risked our lives for each other. We had powers that made us equal. They have no powers and that makes them equal. But it is hard for us to get along with them in a family environment,” Tom explained.
            “What?” Emma asked quickly, the sudden flow of information just passing over her head.
            “We find it hard to fit into normal lives. Lives where we aren’t being threatened everyday,” Tom explained further. “We went from having to look over our shoulders every second of everyday. Most of us forgot when I used Jaso to lock up the memories of the team, we didn’t. I on my part, you on your part. Because of that, our instincts remained in overdrive and that made us difficult for the rest of the world to deal with.”
            “Then why didn’t you take us with you!” Emma screamed.
            “Because I wanted to give you the chance to be normal. You weren’t meant to remember,” Tom yelled back. “I was never going to be normal, I was always going to be altering my age, jumping around the world, manipulating. I wanted the whole team to be normal. That was why I wiped everyone’s memories and that is why I sent you and your sisters down here separately, to live your own lives.”
            “You abandoned us!” Emma cried. “You let me think that everyone I cared for were dead!”
            “Not intentionally. You blocked the memory wipe. I wanted you to be normal,” Tom explained.
            “Okay stop. I would’ve done the same thing, Emma you would have done the same thing for your kids. Give them the space to be normal while you do everything you can to protect them,” Naomi defended. “Believe me. You would have done the same.”
            “Fine,” they grumbled simultaneously.
            “Now, what are we gonna do about our mystery killer. And we still don’t actually know who destroyed the spots sheds last night,” Naomi decided, changing the subject completely.
            “Our mystery killer defiantly has powers, the problem is…is that it is nothing that I remember,” Tom explained.
            “The sheds could’ve been anything,” Emma expanded. “It could have just been you in the middle of the night, scared as hell, no memories of how you got there, and then just accidently forming a small tornado like thing on top of the sheds.”
            “It was too controlled to be that. And while I’m sure Geoff probably had something to do with that. I have a suspicion that they were not acting alone. They especially don’t have the ability to just make me forget where I ended up after I disappeared in 3000, and then a time travel trip, and then ending up asleep in the middle of a primary school playground.”

            “Then we’d better get to work,” Tom stated simply.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Updates for the main series

Family Reunion: Father, Part 1

NCIS Rewrite: Canteen Catastrophe